Process LENA Devices with LENA Hub (Transfer, upload, process)
This article offers a few ways to learn about device processing, for which you will need:
- Windows computer with LENA Hub installed
- LENA Online username and password
- Assigned LENA devices with data
Multi Dock with power cord, cable to computer, and USB cable for each LENA device
- If processing just one device at a time, you do not need the Multi Dock as you can connect the device directly to the Hub computer via USB cable
- Time: About 5 minutes of active time per set of 10 devices for assignment confirmation and data transfer. After transfer, uploads will take 5 to 30 minutes per file, depending on Internet speed. The computer must remain powered on and connected to the Internet, but the user does not have to do anything.
Printable PDF of the basic processing steps
Click to open this PDF. Print it to keep it with your Hub computer for reference.
Click each step for specifics. These steps match the PDF and video, but they include suggestions for when things don't go according to plan.
- Click the LENA Hub icon on your computer's desktop.
- Log in with the same username and password you use to access LENA Online.
- The main LENA Hub screen opens.
If there's no login prompt, your Hub is configured so that a person without a LENA account can use it.
In this configuration, each device will transfer and process automatically for the child to whom it is currently assigned. You will not have the option to check and confirm that it is going to the right child. In most cases, requiring a log in and displaying assignment information is preferred. This setting can be adjusted using the wrench icon.
Something went wrong with Hub's helper program. Learn how to fix the device service error.
Connect one LENA device to the Multi Dock. (If not using Multi Dock, connect device directly to computer using USB cable.)
- A device icon will appear on the Hub screen, followed by a confirmation window.
- The device's LCD screen will now say Charging or Charged instead of Memory Full or Paused.
Confirm the transfer if the name shown onscreen matches the name label on the device. What if the names don't match?
- The data will be processed for that child.
- The device icon will show Transferring or Waiting status.
Repeat steps 1 and 2 until Multi Dock is full.
- No need to wait for each transfer, just keep connecting and confirming.
- Do not connect another Multi Dock...yet.
If you click Confirm, the date you transfer will be processed for the child whose name is on the screen.
If the name on the screen is not the child who used the device, or if you are not sure, click Cancel.
- Click Cancel.
- Disconnect the device.
- In LENA Online, assign the recorder to the correct child.
- Reconnect the device to LENA Hub.
- Confirm audio transfer to the correct participant.
Hub displays each device's status. Devices must remain connected to Hub until they transfer their data to the computer.
If you have more than 10 devices to transfer:
- Let first set of 10 transfer over to the Hub.
- Disconnect first Multi Dock from Hub computer, but leave it plugged in to power outlet so devices continue to charge.
- Set up second empty Multi Dock, plugging in to Hub and power source.
- Connect and confirm LENA devices, following the same steps as above.
Do not connect more than one Multi Dock to the computer at a time. This can prevent Windows from recognizing any recorders, including the ones you've already confirmed. You'll have to restart your computer and start all over again. This is not fun. Don't do it.
Hub begins uploading each file after transfer, unless deferred processing is enabled.
The rest is automatic! This means you can walk away, BUT...
- Leave the LENA Hub program open until the status area shows 0 Uploading (or 0 Processing if configured for local processing)
- Keep the computer:
- plugged in
- powered on
- awake (make sure it was set to never sleep, and if it's a laptop don't close the lid)
- connected to the internet
- Stay signed in to Windows. You can lock the computer if needed (Windows key + L).
Your LENA Hub software may be configured to hold recordings for later handling. If so, you will see a blue arrow and the number of "Held" files. These LENA Days will be held unprocessed until a user manually initiates the upload or processing.
As long as you see 0 Uploading or 0 Processing, you can safely close LENA Hub and shut down the computer. The recording files will still be there the next time the program is opened. It is also safe to transfer more recorders before processing the held items.
When the computer can be connected to high speed internet for sufficient time, click the blue arrow to initiate uploads/processing for all held files.
Don't forget to click the blue arrow! No reports will be created until the files are processed.
Hub for cloud processing
Uploading may take 5-30 minutes per file, depending on recording length and your internet speed. Files upload one at a time. After a file is uploaded, the next step is cloud processing. Reports will be available the day after the recordings finish uploading.
Hub for local processing
Local processing takes about 1.25 hour per file. Most computers can work on 3 files at a time, meaning that 10 full-day files typically require about 5 hours.
Slower internet and/or large quantities of devices transferred at once may result in a total upload time that exceeds the amount of time you can leave the computer running. If you frequently need to pack up your Hub laptop to leave before the files complete, then you should:
- Turn on deferred processing.
- Close the Hub (click through the warning).
- Reopen Hub at your earliest convenience to allow it to complete the files.
The next time you use Hub to process devices, all files will be held so that you won't have to interrupt uploads (which sometimes causes hiccups). Click on the special instructions below to learn how deferred processing works.
Reports will be available the day after the recordings finish uploading.