Configure Hub for audio storage (LENA SP only)
By default, LENA Hub deletes the UPL file immediately after upload. For SP recordings only, LENA Hub can be configured to extract a WAV file and store it and the original UPL to your local drive. If you need to retain audio for further analysis, follow these instructions before transferring recorders.
These instructions apply to LENA Hub version 4.0 and later. If you are running an older version of Hub, please first update your LENA Hub software.
Important information about audio storage:
- This setting is specific to the individual computer. If you have more than one Hub where audio storage is desired, customize the settings on each installation.
- Audio storage occurs at the time of transfer, and the files are stored to the hard drive. Be sure that your computer has sufficient storage space to handle your files. Insufficient space will result in a transfer failure, meaning that your recorder cannot be emptied, and the data cannot be processed, until you have cleared sufficient space.
- Customizations on the SP Program Settings tab apply only to recordings transferred for children enrolled in a LENA SP organization. Any changes to the default SP Program Settings are ignored for Start, Grow, and Home children. No audio will be stored for non-SP children regardless of changes made on this screen.
1. Click on the wrench icon to open the Settings screen.
2. Click the SP Program Settings button.
3. Adjust audio storage settings
These two settings together govern whether audio is stored, and where:
3.1. Create the folder for audio storage on this computer's hard drive.
We recommend creating and using the folder C:\LENA_New_Audio for initial audio storage.
We also recommend that you develop a plan and procedure to regularly move new audio files from the hard drive into more permanent, secure storage where the files can be accessed by your team and backed up as needed.
Why here? Why not store directly to a network share or to My Documents?
Using a folder on your network or within your Windows user is not advised because network changes or folder settings could block Hub's access.
If Hub cannot access the storage path, it will be unable to empty the recorder or process the file until the problem is resolved.
Hub is unlikely to encounter access problems with a folder on the C:\ drive.
3.2. Choose storage option.
Under Store UPL and WAV Files Locally, select one of the following:
- No = never store an audio file
- Yes = always save a WAV and UPL to the hard drive
- Prompt = for each UPL, user is asked during transfer whether to save audio
3.3. If storing audio (Yes/Prompt), choose location.
- Under UPL and WAV Storage Location, click Choose File.
- Select the folder you created previously.
- The selected storage location is displayed below the file chooser button.